The Republic of Indonesia and the Kingdom of Thailand have established the diplomatic relations since 7 March 1950. Mr. Sern Srikasiphan was appointed as the first Chargé d’Affaires of the Kingdom of Thailand to the Republic of Indonesia in 1951. The Embassy rented a house at No. 23 Diponegoro Road as the Embassy Chancery.
In 1954, the Royal Thai Government purchased a Colonial-Java styled building at No. 74 Imam Bonjol Road near the Hotel Indonesia (H.I.) Roundabout in Menteng, a residential and business area in Central Jakarta and used it as a Residence of the Ambassador.
In 1956, Luang Ratanadib was appointed as the first Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Kingdom of Thailand to the Republic of Indonesia.
Later in 1973, the Royal Thai Government purchased a house at No. 10 Widyachandra Road and used it as a Residence of the Ambassador. Meanwhile, the Embassy Chancery was moved to the No. 74 Imam Bonjol Building.
In 1994, during the tenure of Ambassador Kasit Piromya, the Jakarta City Administration wished to develop a new diplomatic conclave in Mega Kuningan area in South Jakarta district. The Royal Thai Government therefore decided to purchase a 5,000 sq.m. block of land in that area for the new Chancery project. However, the construction of the project had to be delayed due to the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997.
The project resumed again in 2010. The construction took 16 months and the new Chancery was completed in 2011 during the tenure of Ambassador Thanatip Upatising.
The new Chancery of the Royal Thai Embassy in Mega Kuningan consists of a 4-storey main building with approximate utility space of 4,855.20 sq.m. and a 1-storey annex building in the front with approximate utility space of 122.20 sq.m. as a consular section to better facilitate those who seek consular services. At the back of the main building, there is another 4-storey building with approximate utility space of 828.30 sq.m. which is a Residence of the Ambassador. The project was designed by a Thai company named Nond-Trungjai Architects, Planners Co., Ltd. and the construction was carried out by PT Jaya Obayashi.
The main building of the Embassy was designed to reflect a modern Thai architecture. Part of the roof and the gable imitates that of Thai traditional houses or contemporary Thai temples. The main building also features an outstanding 180-cm tall imitated emblem of the Royal Thai Embassy on the front gable for a better visibility and to complement the size of the building. The original emblem is placed above the main entrance. This large emblem was sponsored by six affiliated companies of Siam Cement Group in Indonesia.
In accordance with Thai traditional beliefs, the ceremony to setup a spirit house within the compound was held on 17 August 2011. The Royal Thai Embassy has started its operation at the new Chancery from then on.
On 19 November 2012, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn presided over the opening ceremony of the new Chancery of the Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta. HRH the Princess was greeted by H.E. Dr. Surapong Tovichakchaikul, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, H.E. Mr. Thanatip Upatising, Ambassador of Thailand to Tokyo acting as Ambassador of Thailand to Jakarta, and Spouse, as well as staff of the Royal Thai Embassy, Permanent Mission of Thailand to ASEAN, Team Thailand, and representatives of Thai community in Indonesia. On the same occasion, HRH the Princess graciously planted a Mahachanok mango tree as a blessing to the Embassy.